Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bittersweet

Well if anything, today was bittersweet.

I had my interview at Disney today, which didn't go as I planned at all. When you say "interview" you think one-on-one time with a, well, person. Nah, Disney does things a little differently nowadays. After waiting a while in the main room where other applicants were busy filling out forms and typing away at computers at the Casting Center, my name was called out along with one other name - some girl. Anyway, we were lead to a screening room where we sat down and watched a ten-minute video about the Disney work environment, how Disneyland employees should behave, dress, work ethic, etc. There was no one in the room but this cute girl and me. Perfect situation indeed.

The video plays and both of us are making snide remarks and comments at the video the entire time. I pretended to get upset that they didn't give us popcorn or drinks for the show. We both made fun of the actors, cutscenes, pretty much everything. Finally the video was over and we were revisited by the employee who showed us to the screening room, who brought us to the next station - the online interview.

Yes, the online interview. I got to take a personality test at a computer by clicking on answers about what I would do in situations posed to me by the all-powerful computer. Now - any job I've ever worked with - and I'm not trying to sound conceited or anything, but - I'm a hard worker, I get the job done, and I aim to please. People have called I.T. requesting me by name because of the quality of customer service I gave them the last time we spoke on the phone. People like me. The all-knowing personality test computer at Disney? Nah, it hates me. I'm scum, and not even worth wasting time with a personal interview.

More than anything, I think it's really funny. Mainly because I'm sure my next job, whatever it is, is going to be much more people-oriented than the job I was applying for at Disney: Technical Operations. Doing stagehand work, I wouldn't be dealing with visitors to Disneyland at all. I would be doing real actual work that pertains to what I have professional experience in - not customer service (granted I have a year's experience in customer service as well)... And in hindsight, I should have got that girl's number during the movie - there was no time after that... but I digress.

The first meeting for Guerilla Film Society this semester happened tonight. Lots of new faces, lots of free food. I felt rather nostalgic being back at Biola in the classrooms at a club meeting. Even though I'm not a Biola student anymore, I'm still really involved, so it makes things bittersweet. Connections are still being made, and there's still a lot of work to be done with LATE this semester in spite of us not filming any shows until February (the production center is still under construction.) And the Italian Couple sitcom I'm working on is very much underway. Busy busy busy.

Bah, it's 1:30 in the morning. Time for bed. Tomorrow I'm heading off to Masters to spend the night with my best friend. Friday we're driving to Modesto for Labor Day weekend. I've been gone for a whole two weeks and I'm already coming back. Saaaaaad. ;)

1 comments:

Ems said...

Huhwhaaa?? You're not at Biola anymore? Since when? What happened? =(