Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Happy Monday to Me

After a solitary day of class this week (thank you, Missions Conferences!), I took a nice happy sigh as I walked out of my last class for the week this afternoon. Tomorrow, the rest of Biola goes to class as I go to work, and enjoy my class-free Tuesday. Wednesday-Friday are set aside this week for a special thing we call Missions Conferences, which are a series of ten seminar-like events aimed at pushing us out into the world to be effective in our walk, and in sharing our faith.

Enough of that, I'm actually here to talk about something else. As some of you might know, I am majoring in in Film here at Biola, with an emphasis in Audio Production. Well, this past year has been especially trying as I've been putting a load of effort into two main films. One film was Dinner with Death, an animated short comedy, and the other more recent film, Winston, which is a short thriller. Both films took a toll on me as I poured my heart into them. As you could guess - animation doesn't come with very much sound to start off with (more accurately, none!), and to make a good thriller like Winston, you need to spend a ton of hours behind the mixer making scary effects. Bradley Clarke (Winston's director) made sure I was good and sleep-drunk when I concentrated on all the trippy sound-effects parts. :)

Last week, I put two 36 hour days spent in the studio finishing Winston in time for the Biola Film Festival deadline. The nominations were released today:

Nominations for Winston:
Best Thriller
Best Editing
Best Production Design
Best Sound Design
Best Original Music

Ah, cripes, Bradley never gave me the list for Dinner with Death, but he told me Best Sound Design was one of them! I swear! Haha. Well, it gets better - Both films that I designed audio for were the only films nominated in that area! It's nice to finally see this sort of work go appreciated by more than just a producer and a director. They like me! They really like me!

0 comments: