Sunday, June 3, 2007

Hiatus

Pale-yellow, the sun tries its best to shine through the blockade of gray in the sky. Though the waves are roaring ever constantly, I barely notice them now. The cold, chilly wind pierces my skin as I sit on this sandy beach - alone and occupied only with my thoughts.

I had hoped to enjoy this time by myself, but I am unable to take in God's creation with my mind completely on reserve. Now I find myself plagued by choices I've made earlier in the year. In spite of the very bad ones, there have been many good choices. Why must the bad choices seem to outweigh and outlast the good?

---

The sun is a bit brighter now, but the air is colder still. The wind, though in the presence of the sun, carries on relentlessly. Making things worse, the tide is on its way in. Too quickly, the sea becomes my neighbor - a cold, caustic neighbor with bad taste who never shuts up. This neighbor of mine pays me no recognition, no attention, no courtesy. He does not care that his encroachment into my little plot on the beach is about to disrupt my sitting. Though inconsiderate, my neighbor is known to snatch up the lives of those who fail to pay due respect. I scoot back.

...

Sky's clearing up now. Blue is peaking out from behind the clouds, but it does me no good. It is as cold as ever on this pier - and yes, I've moved to a bench on the pier now. I am perched above a score of drysuit-clad surfers who wait for what will probably be their last ride in. Just when I begin to think to myself, "They're too far out to catch anything," a few big ones hit, one after another.

Half of them are on shore now, while their patient companions wait for the next batch of their choosing. It's really cold. Morons.

0 comments: