Sunday, July 8, 2007

Growling at the Computer

Grrrr... Biola's server has been down for the past three days now - which is the cause of my background, a couple of pictures, and the music player on my Myspace profile not loading. It's got me edgy since I have files on there that I desperately need to get to a friend soon.

What an opener, just brilliant. In other news, Matt and I went to Oakland this afternoon to watch the A's suck at baseball from $40 seats. The weather was the only thing great about the whole thing... and the food, naturally. I also bought me a new A's hat, since I lost my old one about a year ago now. *Sniff* My favorite hat is gone and I don't even remember where exactly I lost it. Sad days.

The strangest thing occured to me this morning. As I was driving to Matt's house this morning, I saw some Jehovahs Witnesses doing their bi-monthly door to door evangelism routine. They stopped coming to my family's house years ago after my dad got in a 90 minute debate with one of the leaders that left in the Witness screaming at the top of his lungs at my dad, and my dad requesting that they never come to our house again. Hehe, I remember it like it was yesterday. Anyways, sidetracked. Where was I? Oh yeah - as I saw the JW's doing the rounds, I called my mom and gave her a head's up, momentarily forgetting that we're on the "Don't" list. After I hung up, I began a personal evaluation of myself, and why I lack this conviction that they seem to have. Why have not I made it routine in my life to constantly profess God's love to those around me?

One thing I know as a fact: not many people who do not consider themselves to be "religious" or "God-fearing" react positively to evangelists. I don't know, maybe they feel like it's some sort of "system" and they're just turning into another number as these people go door to door converting people. It makes sense. So here is personal goal for me now: Once or twice a week, I'm going to seek out a complete stranger during my daily routine and just ask if there's anything they would like me to pray about. No strings attached. Actions speak louder than words.

Ha, so read the first paragraph again and tell me - did you even have a remote idea about where this story was going? I sure didn't ;)

1 comments:

Ems said...

Grrrrrrrrr on Biola's server. >:(

Ha, we're on the JW's "Don't" list as well - we used to invite them in every time they dropped by and debate with them for hours so that they couldn't visit any more houses. *sheepish grin*

I'll admit, I've felt my share of conviction about it more than once. Even if they are mislead, they're passionately proclaiming such falsehoods while I idly sit with the truth in my hands.

Your goal to be more vocal about said truths is admirable - admirable enough to convict me to not ignore the passersby on the street as I usually do. :)