Saturday, July 14, 2007

Redesign

I've been doing some rennovations in my personal blogosphere on MySpace and my actual Blogger site. It's purdy. I miss green. Green is definitely one of my top two main color themes on site design. Cameron's old site CommunityForums.com no longer exists, but I think it had one of the best themes ever. *sigh* I miss those podcasting days too. For those of you who know me more recently (or even some of you who have known me forever and just never heard) I used to participate on podcasts on iWouldntDoThat.com on a weekly basis. Then we all got busy and the site broke down. It was fun while it lasted though - gave us all something to do. Cameron, Max, Jeremy, and I made a pretty decent band of hosts. Cameron and Max subsribe to my blog, so guys, we should pick up where we left off. :)

Enough daydreaming. I got off work about an hour ago. Saturdays are the most boring day of the work week. The regular helpdesk is closed, just the lab is open - meaning that for six hours I babysit a freezing cold room full of computers while one or two people filter through every hour. I typically take advantage of the situation by popping in a movie or playing games on the laptop. What's worse is when someone has a problem and they need help (I'm afraid to say this, since that's the sole reason why I'm even at the helpdesk on Saturdays!) Typically I'll go for the entire day without a single walk up, so I expect nothing more.

There is a fine line between relaxation and busyness that I absolutely dread dwelling in. I'll elaborate: During regular hours (8-5, M-F) it's easy to stay super-busy especially over summer since there's a TON of preparation work for the Fall semester. After hours work, when half of my 40 hours a week are spent, usually constitutes of semi-lucid staring at my laptop as the hours drearily poke me in the side, reluctantly passing like kidney stones. The on/off combination of both environments kills me.

On a Saturday afternoon, not a soul may have been seen for hours and then suddenly, without warning, someone will approach the desk. In anticipation of a question, I'll take my headphones off and nod in awknowledgement. Typically the problem is simple - "I'm having trouble printing," "What are your hours," "You're really cute, we should go out for coffee sometime." You know, typical stuff I generally hear every day being the techie hawtness I am. Really, I just like saying "hawtess."

Sometimes though, on a rare occasion, a completely off-the-wall problem will arise to an unsuspecting student. The question comes to me, and like being shaken out of unconsciousness at 3am in the morning and asked what the capitol of Wyoming is, I stare, blink, swallow, blink, "I'm sorry, what?"

This is my job on Saturdays. Such is my life.

0 comments: